- cross-posted to:
- world@quokk.au
- Europe@europe.pub
- cross-posted to:
- world@quokk.au
- Europe@europe.pub
cross-posted from: https://lemmy.sdf.org/post/51083203 > cross-posted from: https://lemmy.sdf.org/post/51083141 > > > Archived > > > > Italian police said Wednesday they had detected cyber-attacks against the interior ministry seeking information on dissident Chinese citizens and officers investigating Chinese groups in Italy. > > > > “No sensitive data related to operational activities appears to have been taken,” police said in a statement, saying their findings had been passed to judicial authorities. > > > > They did not give a timeframe but the La Repubblica daily had earlier reported that the interior ministry suffered a cyber-attack between 2024 and 2025. > > > > … > > > > It reported that Chinese hackers had obtained a list of some 5,000 police officers, many in sensitive roles such as counter-terrorism or tracking Chinese dissidents in Italy. > > > > “The malicious activities were promptly detected by the Postal Police as part of routine security monitoring of the interior ministry’s IT systems,” the police statement said. > > > > … > > > > La Repubblica reported that the discovery of the hack damaged the growing cooperation between Italy and China on drugs, cyber-crime, human trafficking and organised crime. > > > > This had included working together to investigate the activities of warring Chinese mafia groups in the textile hub of Prato, near Florence.

