A woman who previously dated Maine Democratic Senate candidate Graham Platner said he drunkenly forced her to have sex after she told him to stop, according to a Politico report released Monday, leading prominent supporters to pull their endorsements and throwing a must-win race for the party into turmoil.
Platner denied the allegation, but said he would be considering next steps for his campaign.
“Regardless of the inaccuracy of the reporting but mindful of the political reality it will inflict, we’re taking the time to reflect on the best path forward,” he said in a video released on social media.
Jenny Racicot, who lives in Maine, told Politico that Platner entered her home in 2021 while drunk and assaulted her. Racicot said she had been in an on-and-off relationship with Platner, but she cut off contact with him after that night and told him the incident wasn’t consensual. A voicemail left at a number listed for Racicot seeking comment did not receive an immediate response.
Platner’s campaign did not immediately respond to an email and phone message from The Associated Press seeking comment.
“Any accusation of non-consensual behavior is categorically false,” Platner said in his video.
Still, the allegation sparked a flight away from a candidate who has long been controversial. Rep. Ro Khanna, a California Democrat who’d stood by Platner even as the insurgent candidate was hit with prior allegations, said Monday’s was enough. “I’ve been very clear that sexual assault or violence against women is a red line,” Khanna said. “These allegations are very serious and credible. Graham Platner should drop out from the race. I am withdrawing my endorsement.”



His military service is not alleged, he’s open about his time in Afghanistan.
Ahhh more conspiracy theories.
It’s much more likely that a man got blackout drunk and pushed himself into a woman he was casually dating at the time. Occam’s razor and all that.
I was talking about the allegations. So you mean to tell me that you’re comfortable with a citizen having their career destroyed without having his crimes confirmed in court?
Not being able to run for the Senate is having his career destroyed?
Really?
I mean him and his volunteers put months of work into a campaign for the working class. Should it all be tossed out on allegations without confirmation? Or should it he confirmed in a court of law and then he can step down?
Given that the elites who own these media outlets have cause to make up allegations about a progressive?